Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 4 of 4
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Provide a Quick and Orderly Way for Members to Leave the System - 06/23/2004
I am posting this to the Enhancements Forum for formal consideration and to the General and Manager forums for discussion.

WebRing.com should permit a member to terminate membership without the need to first withdraw membership from all webrings.

Not permitting this causes members who decide to abrubtly depart, to do so in a "less than orderly" manner.

Because the system does not provide a way to leave a significant number of memberships, members remain members, but abandon the stack(s). They remove the code from their pages and move on.

Slowly, webring by webring (for those with automated management) the site suspends.

Slowly, webring by webring (for those with manual management) the webring owner must suspend the site.

And, immediately, until suspension happens, the navigability of all webrings is degraded.

Permitting a member to immediately depart and remove all trace of existence, would solve these problems.

Of course, such action needs an appropriate level of authorization, confirmation and fail-safe. All three of these concepts need to be developed to properly implement this suggestion.

James S. Huggins

to contact me: http://JSH.us/webringemail

Replied - 06/23/2004
James, i like the idea, wether its workable or not is upto webring but i like it.

Ive come across a lot of sites myself that have left the way you describe, it would cure all those problems.

Main concern id have is how much system power it would take, i mean if one had over 1000 memberships how much/long would it take for the system to remove each individual membership.

Main reason it concerns me is i know the "global ring mail" option tends to timeout if you have too many rings for it to handle, similary i wonder how the system would cope with removing over 200 sites, would it timeout or would it do it all behind the scenes..

On a similar note is the point of removal email, I would like to know if a site leaves my ring, but then it would come down to the system too...

Well thats my rambles...lol

CE

Replied - 06/27/2004
I agree - it's worth doing.

There would need to be safeguards - one, preferably two - "Are You Sure" screens, but I doubt that's technically difficult, so I'd welcome it.

Replied - 06/27/2004
Perhaps also an e-mail confirmation... just in case someone's webring password is compromised.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy