Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 5 of 5
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

WebRing.com Suspending Sites Without Authorization - 06/22/2004
There's an intersting thread in the managers forum on this issue; seems webring has found a way of detecting sites who conceal the navigation bar - it tests ok, but cannot be seen by visitors. These have been designated "one way" sites.

Personally, I'm very pleased, and welcome the help. First time I found such a site, I thought it was an amateur's error; second time, I could see from the site that the owner knew javascript backwards, so I was less than impressed by his "it tests ok" claim. If the site will not immediately reinstate the bar, I delete them - we need a zero tolerance policy on these slimeballs! (mind you, I won't have pass-L either, I like to be able to skate right around a ring - though I'm sure few visitors go right around).

Replied - 06/22/2004
music (no name given) wrote:
There's an intersting thread in the managers forum on this issue; seems webring has found a way of detecting sites who conceal the navigation bar - it tests ok, but cannot be seen by visitors. These have been designated "one way" sites.
=========================

Not exactly.

1. It hasn't "found a way" in the sense of anything automated. Rather, people looking at the page, much as you or I or any webring owner would look, just observed

2. It isn't about "concealing" the navigation bar. It isn't that it cannot be seen. Rather it is about what I call "island pages". The allegation is that some members create a webring page which holds the navbar without linking to the page from the rest of their site. The result is that you can easily go from the webring page to the rest of the site, but cannot go from the rest of the site to the webring page. Hence the designation of "one way".

This is not about JavaScript tricks or "concealing the navigation bar" or anything tricky. Rather it is about the age old discussion of the proper role of webring pages.

And, it is not about an automated tool doing this. It is about WebRing.com staff making an evaluation and then designating a particular site (U# ?) as "failing" in such a way that it cannot be "unfailed" without assistance from the WebRing.com staff.

James S. Huggins

to contact me: http://JSH.us/webringemail

Replied - 06/22/2004
jliilj, hmm...how can one add...lol

You seemed to cover a lot of the basics i wouldve mentioned in your other posts in the other forum, now im left with nothing to say... (-:

Cheers, CE

Replied - 06/22/2004
Hurray! I welcome this help from webring. IMO, it is a step in the right direction.

Webring certainly has my approval to suspend or delete any sites which:

Hide the Nav bar
Don't provide navigation back to the landing page they listed
Skip out to a different domain
Or in any way 'break' the ring

I see no benefit to me or to webring of allowing sites which will NEVER send ANY traffic to the ring and become a traffic 'black hole' - besides not providing a link back to the landing page they list, some even disable the back button!

Replied - 06/23/2004
Webring certainly has my approval to suspend or delete any sites which:

Hide the Nav bar
Don't provide navigation back to the landing page they listed
Skip out to a different domain
Or in any way 'break' the ring .................................

I would agree with that one also, but it would need to be thoroughly checked and fine tuned first to ensure that automated suspensions and deletions are not going to occur in error.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy