Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 9 - 14 of 14
< Prev 8   All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Full Stack Display As Premium Option - 06/05/2004
It has nothing to do with being elite, realnurse. Those who are taking it to mean that they are somehow superior to those who aren't managing a Ring are not good for WebRing. What a true RingMaster is would be what I call "rare" and "special", but certainly not "elite". But the cliques are here, like it or not. And those cliques are the ones who feel they are elite (isn't that how it always IS with cliques ANYWHERE!?)
The Term RingMaster also doesn't refer to master and slave or someone with sole ownership of something, like a dog. It refers to possessing a mastery of all things WebRing, something that all those who manage Rings SHOULD be. Many are, some are moving in that direction, then there are those who just manage for the sake of saying they "own" something (as much as one can "own" a WebRing).
I would guess that our forumguest was simply trying to use the term in its most basic sense for the sake of contrasting its definition against the experience of the person using it.
Personally, I like the term because it's a great parallel considering that "ringmaster" is also the person who leads the circus. Some of these so-called RingMasters are just clowns in the WebRing Bros. circus! LOL
Personally, I believe that someone who truly is managing to the best of their abilities is also special. Too many forget that the Rings exist for the members and visitors, not the glorification of the RingMaster. This is why I never name my Rings after me. I don't want to belong to someone else's Ring. I want to belong to a Ring that belongs to the members. Like you, I manage to the best of my abilities. That means following the directives of WebRing and striving to ensure that the Rings are navigable to as many visitors as possible. To those with lower standards and self-righteous motives, that makes me a target.
Keep managing the best way you know how. I bet your instinct is as good as anyone's!

&rea

Replied - 06/05/2004
I agree with you totally.

Replied - 06/05/2004
Let's agree to disagree about the term 'Ringmaster' - because other than that (I hate it!) I agree with you 100% too.

And I do hear what you are saying - but I'm afraid I always associate the term with the exactly the kind of manager who names the ring after themselves, or insists their ring is on top, or demands featured status ... or ... but you get my drift!

Replied - 06/08/2004
Understood....and I respect your concern about wanting to remain a good RingMaster (or Ring Manager if you prefer). Some truly get overinflated egos and that just isn't good for the Ring. But you already know that and I'm sure your Rings are better off because of it.

Replied - 06/08/2004
Oh, now ya did it. You made me curious about the Rings you manage so I checked out your list.
'Tiels, eh? I have 8 of those, my two newest are a white face and a white face pied. Gorgeous beauties they are. GIVEN to me with cage because they are "noisy". They talk incessantly, which didn't work for the previous (second) owner. "Pretty bird", "pretty baby", "come here boy", "come here baby"...and that's just what I can comprehend. Some of it is still fuzzy. Then three days after I get them, the female ripped her foot open and nearly bled to death. There is a story for anywhere but here. What an ordeal, frightened the life out of me! I have to get my 'tiel photo page back up again someday.
Family History, well, I have two of those pages. Check your queue! LOL You might find me popping up in the no pop up Ring, too, just as soon as I have time to start submitting the various pages......

Replied - 06/09/2004
You're never alone with a tiel ... much as you sometimes wish you were ... I just have the one now; more personality than than the cat, and that's going some!

< Prev 8   All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy