Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 8 of 8
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Do Webrings Impact Search Engine Link-Backs - 05/31/2004
I'm curious if webrings are recognized by search engines, spiders, robots, etc, as part of the link-back score? Or is the nav-bar code skipped by the search engines?

Thanks,

Lorelle

Replied - 05/31/2004
Most likely, yes, but none of the search engines seem willing to divulge how and what they consider for fear that it will be exploited.

Replied - 06/01/2004
Links from webring do count - but not a lot. This is partly because of search engine's internal systems, but partly because few webring pages are 'real' - they are mostly database pages built to order (rather than permanent .html), and so don't do a lot. While webring (home) has a Google page rank of 8, most pages have GPR=0, or are not recognized at all.

I know they do something, as they occasionally show in results.

Replied - 06/01/2004
One of the advantages of html navigation code is that the member sites make the ring appear in search engines.
I have old members in my rings generating lots of traffic, that's why I always keep these sites even if the navbar look is not quite like the one from the ssnb version or some of the pics won't load anymore.

Replied - 06/03/2004
--One of the advantages of html navigation code
--is that the member sites make the ring appear
--in search engines.

True enough; but it's a matter of priorities; I'd much rather have a ring that works 100%, with every navbar as intended (I mostly use image maps). And anyway, it rarely gets a good position in search results!

But it's a shame; the inventor of Webring wanted, quite specifically, to enhance search engine placement - but it's the one thing that never happened!

Replied - 06/04/2004
But it's a shame; the inventor of Webring wanted, quite specifically, to enhance search engine placement - but it's the one thing that never happened!

=================

You'd be surprised by how many hits individual Rings receive from google, yahoo, and msn searches. A lot. A few others are in there as well but don't rank as high. We filter those out of the "Other links to Ring" list RMs have to look over as those are not pages that could be invited to join the Ring, but there are many of them.

Replied - 06/04/2004
You'd be surprised by how many hits individual Rings receive from google, yahoo, and msn searches.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hey, I can back up that one. Those lists you've had me reviewing, the ones with the URLs referring to deleted, ancient, webring.org Rings.....they are absolutely LOADED with google and msn referral URLs. Most of those so-called "memberships" on those lists are search engine listings of sites that once held membership in those old Rings.
Now, for those search engine URLs to be registering on your program, that means the site had to be accessed via the search engine and from THERE referred to the WebRing. When people find WebRings, they are drawn in. I know that's how I got started in 1997. I found (formally) datope's (now my) Philadelphia Flyers WebRing on a Flyers site that returned in a search engine query. I immediately had to find out what MY site had to do to participate. So, WebRing, you know now who you have to blame for your having to deal with me! LOL
Anyhow, point being, that whomever claims that WebRings never gained search engine placement is wrong. I also think that Sage wasn't TRULY looking for a higher rank in search engines, I think he was looking for a superior alternative TO search engines. And, when a Ring is properly managed (by that I mean, not keeping sites that either don't display the coding OR simply no longer exist), it indeed IS that.

&rea

Replied - 06/05/2004
"I also think that Sage wasn't TRULY looking for a higher rank in search engines, I think he was looking for a superior alternative TO search engines. And, when a Ring is properly managed (by that I mean, not keeping sites that either don't display the coding OR simply no longer exist), it indeed IS that."

I agree that a well-run ring (I'd add 'all sites are relevant') does provide a very useful alternative to searches (which are often very unsatisfactory ... but it is a matter of record that Sage hoped the 'community co-operation' of mutual links would help what we now call SE ranking. That's not to suggest he has anything to be ashamed of with what has been achieved.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy