Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 8 of 8
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Can you permenently delete a ring and really make it go - 04/21/2004
Yes and no. No, because the Ring is not about the RingMaster. It's about the member sites. Is it FAIR when a member has only the membership in YOUR Ring to force them out of WebRing because you don't want the Ring to exist anymore? And it's not just about the single-membership guys, either. It is about every member. They joined for a reason, to band together with other sites on that topic. It's even about the visitors. They come for a reason, apparently because they like the content of the Ring.
Now, if the Ring has a low uniqueness rating (here's a place where that number is helpful) and it's one of many on a certain topic with no characteristics that make it stand out, then deleting it would NOT result in a resurrection.
But, if that Ring was returned to active status then there must be enough unique qualities (in member sites and overall topic) to warrant its return to life. And apparently that is the case with the unnamed Ring.
Other RMs may tell you to delete each site individually followed by the empty Ring, but even that won't stop a restoration. Memberships that are deleted are "held" by WebRing (note that site ID#s are no longer immediately reassigned). If the Ring is deleted, the memberships that were removed first can be restored.
This is a WebRing policy that goes back several years. It's not anything new. If I recall, it predates Yahoo!'s interference, except that with Y!WR, there was no adoption of those Rings. They just sat there unmanaged.

Replied - 04/21/2004
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Kind of, but not if WebRing.com decides "no".

Longest answer: Not really.

But you could continue to own it and manage it out of existence.

Or, you could find someone to take it from you who will so completely transmogrify it that, while it continues to exist, it has no apparent connection to the webring you currently have (except for the "ID").

Obviously, in the latter case, you would do it through the WebRing.com adoption process, but rather through a "private offering" . . . announcing to all your members that you want to give it away, stating your terms, and asking those interested to contact you.

James S. Huggins

to contact me: http://JSH.us/webringemail

Replied - 04/21/2004
Correcting typos . . .

I wrote:
Obviously, in the latter case, you would do it through the WebRing.com adoption process

I meant:
Obviously, in the latter case, you would NOT do it through the WebRing.com adoption process

James S. Huggins

Replied - 04/21/2004
I recently spent the time to merge the low traffic low uniqueness rated:

"Whale Island Hunter x Hunter WebRing"
http://l.webring.com/hub?ring=hunterxhunter4ev

into my higher traffic, higher uniqueness rated

Hunter x Hunter WebRing
http://k.webring.com/hub?ring=hunterxhunterweb

deleting ONLY one site that had NOTHING to do with the ring topic. I then notified all the members that the "Whale Island Hunter x Hunter WebRing" had been merged into my ring and deleted the ring.

Well, it looks like WebRing restored it and put it up for adoption. Brilliant.

Lesson learned. There is no point in Ring Managers trying to clean up these completely redundant rings by merging them with higher traffic more unique rings.

Replied - 04/21/2004
Lesson learned. There is no point in Ring Managers trying to clean up these completely redundant rings by merging them with higher traffic more unique rings.
======================================

Here is one idea:

Next time, after you go to all the work to eliminate the redundancies, don't delete the old webring.

James S. Huggins

to contact me: http://JSH.us/webringemail

Replied - 04/24/2004
Ok, thanks for the input.
One moe question though.
The ring I have refered to is the "22nd Avenue Mall" webring.
If you look it up you will notice there are three of these rings- It's a complicated story and I have learned a few things as a result.
The question is, If I get everyone out and close two of the rings, can they be removed from me for neglecting them if they stagnate?
Thanks again,
Bullwinkl AKA 22ndavenue

Replied - 04/24/2004
If you are trying to delete the duplicate and triplicate then do the following. Delete the sites (all of them), then change the title to "duplicate Ring" and note the URL of the remaining or original Ring hub in the description.
Now, for those wanting to use that as a loophole for adopt and delete or merging Rings, forget it. WebRing CAN see what the old title was to compare with the Ring you are claiming to be the duplicated one. The Ring ID will give it away, as well as creation dates. So use this legitimately.
I'm sure that if WebRing sees that you are just cleaning up, those multiples will be allowed to remain deleted.

Replied - 04/25/2004
WebRing says...
I'm sure that if WebRing sees that you are just cleaning up, those multiples will be allowed to remain deleted.

Now that statement raises the question as to why the emmajones and daniellejones id is currently barred from adopting rings after it was picked up that a series of rings were deleted that typically comprised of less than 3 sites, some out of categoty as well, that were all submitted to every ring under the sun. OK fair enough no entry such as duplicate ring or similar statement was entered into any of these rings, but I think it is extremely doubtful that WebRing took the time to view the respective navigation stacks which were and still are in existing rings literally endless. No problem as any adopting is done on active ring ids but please would you consider lifting the block on this id so that I can port some top performing rings over.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy