Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 2 of 2
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Does webring want my feedback? You won't like it. - 07/07/2011
Only here because I got an email pointing to forums.

I don't use webring much anymore. It's WAY to complicated. I've been a ring host for years now and just got tired of trying to walk new members through the maze. I don't even understand this maze myself. And support? forget about it. All I get back when I do ask a question are snarky rude non answers. So I haven't actively tried to contact new sites to join at all. And traffic coming FROM webring has really dropped off as well. Hardly worth the time. I only leave it on my site because I still have active members some of which have been with me for many years. Not had a new one join in a very long time. Had several try to join but couldn't figure out what to do and got frustrated with the whole thing. Then there is the time needed to make sure sites have the webring page actually linked with their main page. Otherwise what's the point? Argh, I just don't have time for all the chasing down anymore.

I still look any time I get a new applicant. But if they can't follow the rules, or reply when I try to help, that's it. Deny/delete.

So there ya go. I think the days of webrings are pretty much over. People now spend all their time on blogs and (yuck) facebook. (Which I wouldn't touch with a fifty foot pole.) Twitter, flickr, squido, etc etc....

And I've had too much to do with making craft items and graphics to sell. I don't spend hours a day linking anymore. No need. My site is finally out there. People find ME now. My polymer clay canes page gets a TON of traffic every day. Ranks number one on google so I must be doing something right. That one page alone gets tons more than what webring brings in. Didn't used to be that way but it is now. So thankfully I no longer need to chase down links.

Webring. SIMPLIFY!!! Try sitting down a dozen or so people who never used a webring and have no clue and just watch them all wallow in confusion.
And get some form of support. Real HUMAN support. Not complicated pages full of self help links.
Even if all you do is find full time volunteers.

or not. Don't care.

I'll keep my foot in the door though. Things always change. Could improve here at some point.

My home
http://ArtmakersWorlds.com ( just in case that doesn't show up in a forum post. Never used this board before.)

Replied - 07/10/2011
You should put your rings up for auction and quit being a passive mmanager. Someone else more interested could no doubt do a better than job than just deleting sites that don't instantly respond to your requests.

logging in once in 8 months as a manager is pretty passive.

Oh, and we do have real support.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy