Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 2 of 2
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Multiple Ring Managers (was WebRing Wake-Up call) - 04/02/2004
I think the point is that ring management should not be so dependent on "Number of Rings", but much more on the quality of management.

If a ring manager has 150 rings, each scoring 100%, how can he (or she) be worse than a manager of five rings, with a average score of 87% ?

If a ring manager logs in virtually daily, that's surely an indicator of commitment compared to one who logs in weekly?

If there's a way of measuring "waiting time" between submission and manager action (accept / hold or deny), that would seem an important indicator.

My feeling is that webring is measuring things it can measure, rather than looking at the problem and seeking the best available solution.

The issue is "Quality of Management" - Number of rings only matters to the extent is can tell us something useful about Quality.

And mostly, it can't. The fact that a 100-ring manager bailing is more of a problem than a 5-ring manager bailing is a shame; not a reason to fear 'big' managers.

And, for the record, I do agree about limiting number of adoptions/day, and most other aspects of the scoring system seem fair enough.

Replied - 04/02/2004
Log in frequency doesn't prove management quality. The guy logging in daily might only be looking for new applications. The guy logging in weekly may also be additional work. Maybe checking on active sites, trying to activate suspended sites, and any other possibility.
The amount of work on a RingMaster increases in proportion to the number and size of each Ring he manages along with the number of features being utilized. Automated management checks for passing sites but cannot decide if a site's content has changed and rendered the site ineligible for membership. The automated management should still be checked to ensure that suspended sites should be suspended and activated sites should be active.
Then we have the order of active sites. If an RM likes to shuffle the order regularly, that must be done for each Ring. RMs who use the featured sites should be checking regularly for changes to the list. Forums must be monitored for relevant posts or issues that need addressed. Polls should be kept fresh. Settings should be verified regularly....just to be sure. We're dealing with computers here after all.
The biggest problems we're dealing with as I see them are:
1) RMs who disappear for lengthy periods without a backup plan such as Helpers. Sometimes you don't plan these things. Look at our illustrious, yet absent Help Forum moderator. She's having problems upgrading her computer. A few of us are on standby to help her out with the Forum and her Rings in case this goes too long.
2) RMs who manage by email. By this I mean the ones who only log in when an email alert says there is a new application. The notification is great so long as something (glitch, server problem, spam filters, whatever) doesn't interfere. Also, if the only management being done is to process new submissions....ugh, I don't even want to think....
There is no one way to prove that someone is an effective RingMaster. But there must be a point where one has too many Rings to be effective even if the number is different from one person to the next. So we just try to discourage collecting for the sake of having a number to brag about.

Drew

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy