Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 9 - 15 of 15
< Prev 8   All Threads |   All Posts   ]

WebRing Wake-Up call - 03/30/2004
...Don't forget C....which is more like B.1, perhaps. When a manager who was all action a few months ago DELETES 100, 200, or 300 Rings and you have to determine which ones are worthwhile restoring. That is time-consuming, too! While it doesn't happen quite as often, you did just do it last week....

Wow, I find this really disturbing. Can I make the following suggestions:

1. Only allow sites to be deleted ONE-AT-A-TIME from a ring. I have NEVER had any cause to delete multiple sites, and can see no reason why this would impair an honest Ringmaster. (Actually, I think they should be required to click on a link to go to the site before being able to delete it. This would really make this kind of destructive behavior more difficult) I would also include a link to put the ring up for adoption on this page...maybe they will get the hint.

2. Only allow a ring to be deleted if it has ZERO members. (Combined with #1, it means any of these losers who want to destroy many rings will have to spend a lot of time doing it)

3. Automatically send an email to any ring member who is deleted to ensure that they know their site was deleted. Let them know they can contact Help/Support if they feel this deletion was a violation of T.O.S. Encourage them to contact the RingMaster if they were not given a reason for the deletion.

4. Add an additional ring adoption process that allows Ringmasters to put their ring up for adoption, where they can chose who is allowed to take over the ring. (I think some managers delete rings, rather than let just anybody take it over) If they fail to place it in 30 days...then it moves to the current public adoption system.

I think these steps would protect WebRing from abuse, without causing any hardship to Ringmasters.

Replied - 03/31/2004
Wow, I find this really disturbing. Can I make the following suggestions:

Occasionally it makes sense to delete a ring if it is not particaularly unique. By this I mean all the members are submitted to an extreme amount of rings and the ring is doing no traffic and off topic. Technically there is no such thing as deletion of a webring because WebRing management have the ability to restore deleted rings. So why not re-term deletion
ring suspension with the requirement that the ringmaster offers some credible reason as to why a ring should disappear of the system.
It is really disturbing that a manager who does not want to continue should delete over 100 rings rather than put them up for adoption. To add insult to injury here, if I have my facts correct here, the rings were held in foster care for a while. I know this because there were one or two that I would have been interested in adopting myself. They were subsequently returned to the ringmaster, followed by an email to all members apologising for not logging in for so long due to a health scare, fair enough but about a week later the whole lot were deleted.

Replied - 03/31/2004
- B. We HATE it, HATE it, HATE it when we are
- forced to adopt out 100, 200, even 300 Rings
- because some RM who was "all action" 3 months
- ago has decided to bail on us. How often does
- it happen? At least once a month.

If they were not treated with such contempt, and publicly blamed for everything, perhaps fewer would bail?

Either way, I sympathise with your plight. But that does not justify assuming all are bad. How many rings get abandoned by 'little' managers?

Replied - 03/31/2004
Either way, I sympathise with your plight. But that does not justify assuming all are bad. How many rings get abandoned by 'little' managers?.......... There will be quite a few over the next few months after this little campaign against so called ring collectors for the simple reason being they have less reason to log in every day, or even check their emails. It only needs some mis-informed "little manager" as you put it to be using a Yahoo or Hotmail email address for their webrings for few emails to bounce. That will be another reason for rings to be re-called.

Replied - 03/31/2004
anonymous writes: If they were not treated with such contempt, and publicly blamed for everything, perhaps fewer would bail?

-------------

Somewhere this conversation has really gone off-track. Contempt is not the way we would describe the way we treat anyone. Perhaps we are in error here.

We have not said that anyone, in general, makes a good or poor RM. We HAVE said that we try to bias the adoption process to a diverse group of managers for a wide variety of reasons already mentioned.

The reality is, probably close to 50% of all Rings adopted out go to RMs who already manage a fair number of Rings.

Another reality is that Rings are pretty much adopted out as soon they are able. One thing that slows the process down for a number of "substantial" managers is the fact that the system generally avoids assigning more than one Ring at a time to any one user. Again the reasons have been explained on this one.

If it seems slower than you'd like, we're sorry but we're only human/machine.

Replied - 04/01/2004
"Somewhere this conversation has really gone off-track. Contempt is not the way we would describe the way we treat anyone. Perhaps we are in error here."

It seems to me that a "little" frustration comes through these forum posts from time to time, from both sides of the fence. I, like many Ringmasters, want to express our ideas on how we feel the system can be better...as well as bring to WebRing's attention those things that we feel need to be fixed. This is a good thing. WebRing's participation provides a vital connection between those who use the system, and those that manage it. Thank you.

If it seems slower than you'd like, we're sorry but we're only human/machine.

Apology accepted. We'll try to be nicer if you try to be faster :)

Forums are a place to exchange ideas and provide a venue for open communication. Lets all try to be a little nicer.

Replied - 04/01/2004
"Contempt is not the way we would describe the way we treat anyone"

"You have the title of RingMaster, solely because you
are managing at least one Ring. But now we ask that
you live up to that title. Try troubleshooting the
next problem before writing here to demand we fix
something that is not broken."

< Prev 8   All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy