Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 6 of 6
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Pending site approved without my say so. - 01/15/2009
I just had a pending site approved just today and the thing is I did not approve it! The pending site has the ID of 1 on it, I'm wondering if that was the original owner of the ring returning and the ring approved it without me clicking the approval button. I have the ring set if I don't approve anyone, they are deleted from the pending stage to not even being a member, not automatically approving them. What is going on here?

Replied - 01/15/2009
Catch up on a few newsletters. Most system managed rings and rings managed by free members can have pendings submissions reviewed and approved (if they appear on topic of course) by members of the ring, as well as by "super users".

This is an effort to provide greater service to members resulting from the widespread failure of many managers to manage rings in a timely manner. We refer to these as community managed rings.

Replied - 01/15/2009
But if the manager is there and gets the e-mail that says pending member is waiting for approval, only three hours after the member is pending, goes to approve the member and find no one there but they check their ring and find the member there. The ring maintainer would be like wondering who the heck is maintainer their ring. It would be wiser if the pending approval sites appear on the site alerting everyone that there is a pending site approval, that it after 7 days of waiting to be maintainer approved before it is given to the public to approve. That would be good as well as an e-mail informing the ring maintainer that this person has approved this site on ring so and so. So that way, the ring maintainer knows who approved the site so in case the site is not what should be approved, the maintainer can thank the person for their help or tell them that was not a site they approved of.

Kala

Replied - 01/15/2009
7 days? To review a site? Things on the internet happen in real time. We'd like to find a way for people to review sites in 7 minutes. The manager sets the tone, look and feel, and has final say. But to ask someone with a poodle site to wait 7 days to be approved into a poodle ring is patently absurd. If they have a labrador site and join a poodle ring they can jolly well wait for the manager to deny them, however.

We don't expect managers to be on 24/7. that's unreasonable. That's why others in the community are encouraged to help. In the end the manager can remove a site they don't feel is qualified, but there is no reason for members who ARE on topic to have to wait.

Replied - 01/16/2009
Well, let's take an example case shall we. Lets say I have a group for fanfiction writers only to band together to share sites. I have been on the site checking the members keeping them on top of their codings and stuff. Log off for the night, during the night, a person with a rock band is now a pending member. During the night, a Super User approves the member not really reading anything about the ring itself. I get the e-mail the next morning about 7am, log in to find no pending member, go to the member side to find him and that the site is not a fanfiction writer site, immediately delete the member with an e-mail informing him that he was mistakenly approved by someone other than the true maintainer of the ring. You end up getting an e-mail complaint from the person who was removed because of their removal from the ring trying to get back in. Who is to blame for that mistake? The ring maintainer or the Super User who approved it? If we wanted extra help, we would be asking the members of our rings for it, not these Super Users. I'm sorry if I sound angry, not my intentions, but I really find that approval being granted to the Super Users will one day bite ring maintainers in the buns so to say. If the ring maintainer would want help, couldn't you put on their rings, this ring maintainer is requesting help in approving sites, please after you approve, e-mail the ring maintainer and let them know you have approved so and so site to their ring. That way, we have a way to thank the person who helped us instead of wondering who approved the site?

Replied - 01/16/2009
All of what you say is "possibly" true. Perhaps even likely. But for every one of those scenarios there are (as evidenced over the past 10 years) 100 cases where a member applies and sits and waits for weeks or months before hearing ANYTHING. Perhaps if super users - who SHOULD be checking the rings join instructions, btw - approve sites the approval email should include something that says this is a provisional approval, and that the manager at some point (hopefully SOON) will make a final determination. But in the interests of serving the membership better this provisional approval carries the full weight of membership unless altered by the manager.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy