Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 9 - 15 of 15
< Prev 8   All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Could a RingMaster rename a WebSite - 03/16/2004
As a ring manager, you have a responsibility to your visitors, as well as your members. Ideally, I'd edit an application before I accept it - so the new mwmber will see what I've done, and can leave or accept it. But I will not accept misleading or 'purely promotional' titles - by and large, i expect the title to match the page or site.

In some senses, a webring *is* a directory; and all good directories are actively edited. And (unless you are paying for an entry) the director's ediotr will *virtually never* seek your permission to make an alteration.

So; broadly, I'll edit for spelling and grammer (and CAPS!) and accuracy. Having said that, I can count the titles I've changed on the fingers of one hand (CAPS probably adds a few more!), and I'd think carefully first.

Descriptions are different; I will not allow 'keyword packing', but to add words may upset a member, so I'd edit out wrong or offensive or misleading copy, make *necessary* corrections. And that's it. So those who submit 100 word adverts end up with short descriptions!

Don't forget, your aim is to have the BEST webring in your categrory - you serve your members best by having a well maintained ring that sends them happy visitors.

I know webring makes this thing about "community" - but to me, the community includes the visitor - if they are mislead or abused (by a false title or anything else), there is no community.

Replied - 03/16/2004
... and just to clarify ... Yes, I do have a clear warning on my join page, something like "The Title should be the title of your page, or something similar; the description should describe your site (not you or your business!). Your entry may be edited a little to ensure this remains the Best Ring in its category!"

Replied - 03/17/2004
Part 1 . . .

============================
As a ring manager, you have a responsibility to your visitors, as well as your members.

Guess I kind of disagree with this one. "Responsibility" isn't the word I'd choose.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in the visitor big time. But not out of "responsibility".

But I'd probably say "accountability" rather than "responsibility". For me, there is a subtle, but profound difference. But that is just me.

Ideally, I'd edit an application before I accept it - so the new mwmber will see what I've done, and can leave or accept it.

I like that. How will the new member see it? The title can be "echoed" in the approval notice with a tag. Is there a tag to "echo" the description? When you edit it do you send an explicit email advising of the edit? Or does your approval email just reference that you might have edited and recommend checking.

But I will not accept misleading or 'purely promotional' titles - by and large, i expect the title to match the page or site.

I like that. Do you encounter many misleading or "purely promotional" titles? I'll be more on the lookout for those. Could you give an example I could learn from?

continued in part 2 . . .

Replied - 03/17/2004
Part 2 . . .

In some senses, a webring *is* a directory; and all good directories are actively edited. And (unless you are paying for an entry) the director's ediotr will *virtually never* seek your permission to make an alteration.

Guess my directory experiences are different to yours. Those directories I'm in fall into distinct categories:

1) those which list me by their own volition, sometimes without my knowledge

2) those which permit me to suggest, but only suggest, the entry

3) those which accept my entry, as is, unless it violates a published proscription

While those in which I participate, even type 3, are "actively edited", alterations to type 3 never occur without my participation.

I consider webrings to be a type 3.

So; broadly, I'll edit for spelling and grammer (and CAPS!) and accuracy. Having said that, I can count the titles I've changed on the fingers of one hand (CAPS probably adds a few more!), and I'd think carefully first.

Cool. This clarifies that your editing is a rare occurrence. I like that. It is a very different impression to one I might have otherwise formed.

Descriptions are different; I will not allow 'keyword packing', but to add words may upset a member, so I'd edit out wrong or offensive or misleading copy, make *necessary* corrections. And that's it. So those who submit 100 word adverts end up with short descriptions!

I like the "ban" on "keyword packing".

continued in part 3 . . .

Replied - 03/17/2004
Part 3 . . .

Don't forget, your aim is to have the BEST webring in your categrory - you serve your members best by having a well maintained ring that sends them happy visitors.

Yep. We agree. We just differ every so very little on technique. The very few times I have done it, for example, I've accepted the member, suspended the member, then sent my objection to the text and my requested changes. When (and if) the member makes the changes, I activate.

I know webring makes this thing about "community" - but to me, the community includes the visitor - if they are mislead or abused (by a false title or anything else), there is no community.

Again, we agree on the result. We just differ slightly on the technique we each use.

One last item: could you post a link to one of your webrings so I can see the join page and the notice you use? Also, could I have your permission to adapt that notice for my own use? You appear to have several ideas I like.

Thanks.

James S. Huggins

to contact me: http://www.JSH.us/webringemail

Replied - 03/17/2004
"Community" Defined by Webster: (I like #3)

Main Entry: com·mu·ni·ty
Pronunciation: k&-'myü-n&-tE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English comunete, from Middle French comuneté, from Latin communitat-, communitas, from communis
1 : a unified body of individuals: as a : STATE, COMMONWEALTH b : the people with common interests living in a particular area; broadly : the area itself the problems of a large community c : an interacting population of various kinds of individuals (as species) in a common location d : a group of people with a common characteristic or interest living together within a larger society a community of retired persons e : a group linked by a common policy f : a body of persons or nations having a common history or common social, economic, and political interests the international community g : a body of persons of common and especially professional interests scattered through a larger society the academic community

2 : society at large

3 a : joint ownership or participation community of goods b : common character : LIKENESS community of interests c : social activity : FELLOWSHIP d : a social state or condition

That is my feelings..of what web ring community represents..for what it is worth...#3 (Joint Participation)

Just a ringmaster's humble opinion.

Dale

Replied - 03/17/2004
=========================
a : joint ownership or participation community of goods b : common character : LIKENESS community of interests c : social activity : FELLOWSHIP d : a social state or condition

That is my feelings..of what web ring community represents..for what it is worth...#3 (Joint Participation)

Just a ringmaster's humble opinion.
=========================

Yes, many webring owners do choose to aim their particular webring toward "community".

I think it is an admirable goal and one I would encourage.

James S. Huggins

to contact me: http://www.JSH.us/webringemail

< Prev 8   All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy