Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 9 - 11 of 11
< Prev 8   All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Missing ID deletion link - 02/17/2007
I reply, not to persuade, but only to clarify the record and to apologize for being misunderstood.

= = = =
For far too long we have been catering to the mega users. That has stopped. If you create 500 memberships and decide one day that you can't be bothered...we don't care. Honestly, we don't. You created the mess, you clean it up.
= = = =

Rereading my post, I do not see references to megausers. My post was about the community.

As you know, people frequently contact me for webring assistance. One person I helped to join. A few months later he decided to leave and contacted me again. He was looking for the "I want to leave" button.

That he wanted to clean up after himself was, to me, an admirable quality. Many just abandon such communities. Whether WebRing.com or Linkedin or Facebook or anything else, many tire and just walk away. But he was willing to push the button.

He owned 2 or 3 webrings. He was a member of 8 or 10. He was not a megauser.

I explained the process to him. And having it explained, he also chose to just walk away.

Just walking away doesn't inconvenience the departing member; it ONLY inconveniences the community.

To push the button instead of just walking away, doesn't serve the departing member. Rather, it is a gesture to the community.

For him, the lack of a system driven way to leave, said that the system cared less about him cleaning up than he did.

He sensed then what you posted ... if you (a member) "decide one day that you can't be bothered...we don't care. Honestly, we don't."

If the system didn't care enough to give him that tool, why should he even bother.

With the button, the system could automatically, effortlessly, and immediately clean up after the departing member. Without it, the people you pay will manually, with some level of effort, over an extended time, perform the same task.

My posting wasn't about mega users. My posting was not about catering to the departing. Rather it was about providing a system driven process to serve the community.

I apologize for being misunderstood.

James S. Huggins

to contact me: http://JSH.us/webring-email

Replied - 02/17/2007
jllilj writes:Just walking away doesn't inconvenience the departing member; it ONLY inconveniences the community.

To push the button instead of just walking away, doesn't serve the departing member. Rather, it is a gesture to the community

=======

You don't get it. Yes the first is an inconvenience and is abhorent. So is the second. Just as much so.

Replied - 03/08/2007
It is still there....on the list of webrings page.
I used it last night.
Hugs,
Ethel

< Prev 8   All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy