Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 9 - 14 of 14
< Prev 8   All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Re (238):'Uniqueness Election '04' - 03/09/2004
"Ever stop to consider that maybe it is truly an UNWANTED feature? And I think I have put forth a rather valid argument, several actually."

Stats for my one ring that has beem completely redone to the uniqueness rating for 3 weeks:
Total hits: For 3 weeks before 2807 3 weeks after 4375
Page views: Before 1912 After 2604
Next 5: Before 173 After:503
List: Before 1739 After 2101
Next: Before 26 After 208
Prev: Before 12 After 83
Skip: Before 0 After 5
Skip Prev: Before 23 After 53
Random Before 33 After 97
Go: Before 801 After 1325

To me the fact that traffic to my members sites has almost doubled.... kind of says it all for me.

Replied - 03/10/2004
~~~~Are more managers in favor of keeping this new rating than members? It sure seems that way from the *small* sampling so far.~~~~

Yes, Webmasters who collect ring memberships feel that Ringmasters will discriminate against them, because allowing them to join a ring will lower that ring's uniqueness rating.

They could also be removed from rings that they are already members of, because the Ringmaster is seeking to raise the uniqueness level of that ring.

So, the question is who runs these rings, the Ringmaster, or is it the member Webmasters of these rings?

Now obviously there are more Webmasters collecting ring memberships than there are Ringmasters, let alone Ringmasters who are seeking to have their ring/s have a higher level of unique content.

The argument goes that the more unique a ring is, the more likely someone will surf that ring, than one that has a very low level of uniqueness (rings whose member websites have joined every ring that is even remotely related to the theme or topic of that ring).

I think someone surfing a ring should have this information. It should not just be a tool for the Ringmaster. If just a tool, why bother, seeing that a person surfing a ring will have no way to differentiate between a ring with little or no unique content, and one that does??

Replied - 03/10/2004
I would just as soon NOT have a uniqueness rating, but either way probably won't have that much of an impact...

As I stated before, I think *most* WebRing visitors probably just do a search for their topic of interest. When the directory listing comes up, won't most people simply click on one of the top 3 Rings? Some might even bother enough to sort the listing by Ring size or Ring traffic, but I honestly don't believe they are going to search out a Ring's uniqueness rating.

For that reason, I just don't think the rating is worth the trouble... programming time might have been better spent in other areas... like clickable member profiles from Ring Management pages, or *outside email* for RMs to contact members who haven't checked their WRMail (or don't know they HAVE WRMail! LOL!).

If the rating stays, OK. If it goes away or gets moved off the hub page, OK. I'd just rather see some *other* areas being addressed.

My 2 cents worth:))
Michelle

Replied - 03/10/2004
~~~~My 2 cents worth:))~~~~~

Only 2 cents to you, but considering that ringmasters are now getting paid, WebRing is a .com, and this outlook is now prevalent among advertisers:

"The Google AdSense program, with its unique targeting capability enables its advertisers to reach some of the most valuable audiences on the web, which are those seeking or providing unique content."

WebRing realizes as do most advertisers that 'unique content' is where the money is, and not 'entry' 'link' 'title', or 'webring' pages. People doing a search will just not use WebRing or any other webring system if they find that surfing a member ring of that webring system just takes them from one webring page to the next.... In other words they are not surfing the rings of a webring system to look at the navpanels. Rather ironic that the quest for 'unique content' and 'money concerns' are bringing webrings back to what they should be?

Yahoo! for some reason thought that navbar stacks was a way to make money...??

Replied - 03/10/2004
I don't even SEE the Google ads... I pay to have them blocked from all my Rings' hub pages... as well as pop-up ads, too.

I didn't come to WebRing to make money... at least not through hosting someone else's outside advertisements. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with doing that... just that I don't.

If the uniqueness rating helps some members/RMs to make more money, great! Like I said... if it stays, OK... and if not, OK.

I'm not campaigning to have the rating removed, just stating my thoughts on the subject.

Have a great day:))
Michelle

Replied - 03/10/2004
==== Yahoo! for some reason thought that navbar stacks was a way to make money...??

Yahoo didn't think.

< Prev 8   All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy