Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 8 of 8
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Uniqueness Ratings...Are we sure we want these? - 02/24/2004
After being denied entry into two webrings this week--NOT because of the content of my page but the "Uniqueness Rating"--I ask if this standard should continue. I thought the concept behind webrings was to join along with other pages that are of the same topic or idea. NOw with these "Uniqueness Ratings", joining is being deterred.
My page (a fan page about the Smothers Brothers) is unique in that there is none other like it. To get out the word about my page I joined numerous webrings,...which in turn helped my search engine rankings (did you know webrings show up in search engine results?). NOw...I'm almost afraid of joining or starting any more rings because of the fact that my unique page is not unique in webring standards. This in turn will adversely affect my search engine rankings since I have to find newer places to get linked so that it doesn't cost me space here.
Think about this...and reconsider.
Terrie Neilson

Replied - 02/28/2004
It's been almost a week since I posted the question, and it looks like it will go unanswered. Has there been any consideration taken for the issue of "uniqueness ratings" and the discrimiation that it is causing?

Replied - 02/29/2004
~~~~any consideration taken for the issue of "uniqueness ratings" and the discrimiation that it is causing?~~~~

Discrimination against who, those who collect webrings?

It benefits those surfing a WebRing webring who are more interested in the content a website has to offer, and not how many rings that that website belongs to!

It benefits those RingMasters who want persons surfing their webring to find 'unique' content, and not content that can be found surfing every other ring that is related to the topic being searched.

As I see it, webmasters who join every ring that is even remotely related to the topic of their website should be discriminated against.

What is your concept of what a webring should be??

Replied - 02/29/2004
Uniqueness rating does not seem to rate the uniqueness of the type of rings the site belongs to by what I'm reading, only the number. So while you may belong to 23 rings of 23 different topics the rating seems to say that you belong to 23 rings and therefore you are bringing down the uniqueness. Well what if you only belong to 1 doll ring, 1 teddy bear ring, and the rest are for other parts of your site's content? It doesn't mean you aren't unique in those rings it just means that 'hey I got a LOT of webrings on a lot of different topics and therefore Webring thinks I'm not unique'. This is just from what I'm reading. Someone looking for 'cyberpets' might not also be looking for 'elfquest' or 'starwars' but because a site belongs to all three of these and several others the 'uniqueness' of the site goes down. If that isn't how this is, I would suggest perhaps an addition to the explaination of uniqueness because, right now, it seems that if you belong to more than X rings you're SOL on uniqueness.

Replied - 03/01/2004
~~~~So while you may belong to 23 rings of 23 different topics the rating seems to say that you belong to 23 rings and therefore you are bringing down the uniqueness.~~~~

I quests it is possible for someone to have a website that has the content for 23 different topics all on the same web page? Seems the simple solution would be for the webmaster to create 23 different pages, or 1 page for each topic, with the related navpanel being displayed on that page?

Most 'spam' webring members join every ring that is related to the topic of their website. :-( Maybe it is they who should discriminate, and say only join the one or two rings that best reflect the content of their website?? Joining hundreds of rings does not increase traffic to your site.... Wouldn't you rather visit a site that had only joined 1 or 2 rings, than one that had joined hundreds?

Replied - 03/01/2004
You've got it exactly right, with one tiny clarification. If you belong to 23 differnt sites in 23 different Rings and all are different types then:
A. Your uniqueness "value" will be very low IFF you register the SAME url for all 23 sites. That is, you use one "webrings" page as an entry point and then let the user find there way to the content.
B. Your uniqueness "value" will be very good if you do the correct thing and register the content page for each of the 23 Rings and place the navigation code there where it belongs.

The beauty of B is that surfers can still EASILY look over the rest of your site and switch from cyberpets to starwars if they feel like it, and they'll find just the right navigation code to move on to another starwars site if they do.

There is no redeeming quality to A, so we can't make any pro comments about it.

Replied - 03/01/2004
Yes, I am...in more than X number of rings. I joined at a time when the point of webring was to gather more traffic by being a member of more than one ring at any one given time--which in turn leads to higher search engine rankings. I thought then, as I do now, that the definition of unique was being a rarity--not in joining, but in content. My page is a rarity...the one and only fan site of the Smothers Brothers, classic comedy team still going strong after 45 years.
With this uniqueness rating, I now get the impression that my page isn't even get looked at by some people because the Uniqueness Rating precedes me and my page. That's not what I had originally come here for years ago when I started.

Replied - 03/09/2004
Has there been any updates in the information about the Uniqueness Rating to include that Uniqueness Rating or not, each webring here will show up in search engines, the more joined equals a higher search engine ranking, something I'm a little more worried about with a one-of-a-kind site.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy