Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 6 of 6
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Does webring realize it's loosing tons of members? - 10/18/2006
I have been a member of webring for a long time. I was a member when it was webring.org, featured the little black background, and you could search for keywords and descriptions, and could actually find rings with related topics in it. It was better than search engines. If you wanted to find rings for comic artists, you'd find comic artists; not things about trying to sell books about how to be a comic artist. It was cool! You could add your own cool little banners, or other animations. You could create awsome Ring codes.

Then, geocities bought it, followed by yahoo buying geocities, and things have gone downhill since.

If I remember, Webring is now free of Yahoo. *collective sigh of relief.* Sadly, the damage had been done. Webring was now little more than a search engine. No longer can one do a ring search, and find exactly what one wants. You have to jump through the same BS you do when trying to search through a search engine. As a result, I, and many others, don't bother with it as much.

Now, WR will be charging. I forget exact numbers, but you now must pay if you own x number of rings, and pay if you're on x number of rings. Again, this is now following the way of the big search engines, which makes it less appealing for the small business, or even the personal pages, that just want a place to meet. I'd rather have people here, meeting on the web, then going about and shooting people.

Now, I'm getting tons of messages, telling me that such a ring is being put up for adoption, because the webmaster/mistress doesn't want to pay for something that has been free for nearly a decade! I would be more than happy to have an ad web ring, and even put a *TINY* (text) ad to the ring code (not like Geocities huge frame, or lycos's huge bottom frame ads)!

The web becomes the latest thing corrupted by corporate greed, and without the web to distract us from their BS, what does that leave us?

IMO, I think people will be better off going to something like Ringsurf.com, as (for now) they're free, and are somewhat of a throwback to how WR once was in it's prime.

Replied - 10/18/2006
= = = = = = = = = =
I have been a member of webring for a long time. I was a member when it was webring.org, featured the little black background,
= = = = = = = = = =

Great to hear from another "old member". I wonder what percentage of the membership is from that time.

1% ??

Anyway, thanks for the post.

James S. Huggins

Replied - 10/18/2006
Actually, WebRing is STILL free. We are not requiring ANYONE to pay anything if they choose not to. Here are some numbers that might be of interest:

95% of our members fall within the limits for free membership
4.5% fall within the premium level 1 limits
.5% fall within the level 2 limits
a tiny number exceed level 2 limits

Since launching this service we HAVE lost some members. roughly .4%. Why? Mostly because they chose to panic rather than read an consider thoughtfully and carefully. A few of course recoil at the notion of paying for a service - how many of those are paying for their internet service while leaving WebRing because we give the option of paying for some services?

There are services we wish to offer members. Some of these we simply cannot afford to offer to everyone - literally cannot afford it. Many might not really benefit from all of them anyway. Having multiple levels of membership - to better serve the whole community simply makes sense.

Replied - 10/19/2006
i don't think webring cares that it's loosing members. wheni emailed them they said only 1 percent had gone (doesn't seem that way from the emails i've had deleted on me)
and though we may all pay for our internet service, which is a valid point, the difference is we get a LOT more out of our internet service. and for the price that webring is charging for preminium membership, i could buy myself half a website/domain for a year. and in honesty, i'd rather have that! especially when i don't get that many hits via webring to make it worth my while having it. WEbring for me was more about something fun to do, running webrings, visiting other sites, and occassionally having hits to myself. but i really don't get enough to make paying for it worth while, and it reeks more of greed to me than anything else because there don't seem to be any new benefits being introduced to make it worth while.

Replied - 10/19/2006
Less than 1% of members may have actually deleted their accounts, but a lot more than that have whittled their memberships down to the free limits, and are no longer planning to be actively involved in webring. I don't think webring is planning on counting those statistics, since they aren't even really measurable (not that statistics are even useful). I'm personally trying to take as much as I can over to webringworld.org and webringo.com before I have to start deleting my own memberships.

Replied - 10/22/2006
I started to remove some of mine last night - I signed up for Premium Level 2 just to be safe - but today, Webring have removed the rest (in fact they only left the 3 I had cleaned out last night!). I had complained to my newly-appointed Webring guru, Gary, about 'deleted' rings now being managed by DELETED. Then I started cleaning out some of the rings - I guess I ticked someone off, because today all the rings are gone...LOL

I'm not bothered - go ahead webring - whatever floats your boat. Just give me back my $5.56 membership fee and we'll be square.

Ms_C

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy