Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 6 of 6
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Stormy Times ... - 10/04/2006
I've just been notified of five rings being deleted that have my sites in them. It's getting rocky. Some of these ringmasters were furious and expressed themselves furiously in the emails they sent out to their members. All of them invited their members to go to Ringsurf & co.

I've been with webring since 1997, that's ten years. I have my reasons for webring membership for my various sites and I don't want to swap to the competition or give up on the general idea.

However, unless there are some DRAMATIC improvements visible within the next three months, I shall have to call it a day also.

At the very least, how about a theme where the images FIT? Webdesign 101 or what? Have those who designed this theme tried it in Firefox, taken a look how incredibly SHABBY that looks?

How about some forums that you can actually read?

I showed the webrings forums to someone the other day and they went, Wow, haven't seen anything like that since 1987 ...

How about some de-bugging? For example, it would have been tremendous if the links on the page to promote the site would have actually worked. I might have spend some money on more categories for my newly adopted web ring.

These are incredibly BASIC things that should have been looked after a very long time ago, and certainly should have been put to rights BEFORE we go asking for premium memberships with such tight restrictions.

I am wondering if there is someone at work who wants to actually end webrings once and for all. Seems a good way to go about it.

But I am sincerely hoping that I am wrong and that webrings will emerge after the comet strike, a small ratlike creature that survived the death of the dinosaurs, but one that will go on to take over the world.

SFX

Replied - 10/04/2006
I kind of agree on the new layout changes. When I’m on my lap top the overall size doesn’t make a difference but the font is too small to read easily. When I’m on my home computer (as I am now), just to log in, I have to move the scroll bar on the bottom to the side just to be able to reach “my account/login” to login as its not visible otherwise.

As much as I’d like to change my screen resolution to accommodate this site, I prefer my eyesight more.

If I could change anything in the new layout back to the old, I’d put what was once on the left hand side bar, those top sites with new sites, traffic, etc in a few boxes side to side beneath the image/map/navigation thing. In all honesty, I really liked seeing when one of my sites made it to the “front page” for being one of the webrings with the most new members… etc. I know people can still get to the top new member active sites by clicking links on the bottom… it just isn’t the same as being “on the front page” :)

Replied - 10/04/2006
Hi there,

You bring up some interesting points. Please try to keep in mind that this is not the final launch. We are not done with updates to the system, adding more features, listening to what the membership wants and implementing what we can.

This was the second of many updates/launches to come and we sincerely hope you will be with us for many more. Keep the ideas coming! We are working hard behind the scenes to make this the best possible experience for all members and we appreciate all of the feedback!

Thank you!
WebRing Support

Replied - 10/04/2006
Hey there,

Thank you for your thoughts in earlier posts. I would have responded, but then saw this one...

Please keep in mind that we are not done with redesign. The majority of things you mentioned in this particular post will be back. We are working as fast as we can to bring them back and we really appreciate your patience!

I can't say it enough...keep the ideas coming! We may have missed something along the way and are hoping that the members will pick up on something we've missed. We are listening!

Thanks again,
WebRing Support

Replied - 10/05/2006
Woo! Glad to know those features will be back, makes it easier to see the competition ^_~!

I have a lot of patience when it comes to updating sites. I’d rather it take a while to be completed than it be a rush job with a lot of mistakes. :)

Replied - 10/06/2006
I am astonished yet gratified to see an actual response from webring personell. That *is* giving me renewed hope. It makes me think that a simple blog of improvements, or just battles being fought, by the staff behind the scenes would greatly improve customer relations. After all, every single person who is a webring member MUST be by definition a webmaster, and every webmaster knows that things can and do go horribly wrong from time to time, and it takes time and effort and money to fix them.

Webring is a funny beast.

I'm guessing that it was originally invented to help people of similar interests find each other, before the days of the monster search engines.

Now, people are relying more and more on "the" monster search engine but that doesn't give a real picture of what is actually on the web, and more so as time goes on. It is ever more slanted in favour of those who defer to the rules of the monster itself; and personal websites are the ones that take the hits, or should I say, they take the "no hits" as they're being pushed out into oblivion.

I believe that we really NEED things like webring on a very profound level. I'd even go so far as to say that to safeguard the freedom of the web we need webring.

I also believe that the people who are webring members are particular individuals, those who want to be heard and make a mark, make their contribution, and not just faceless mooing cows on the pasture, waiting to be milked.

As such, it is possible that there may be much merit in treating the webring members/customers in a more personalised fashion as would be the case with such places as yahoo, blogger or myspace.

That is not a question of chauffeur driven limousines but perhaps just a question of directness, honesty, and more of a peer relationship. We run websites too. Not huge things like webring, obviously, but still.

If you guys tell us honestly what's going on, keep us updated and engaged, there is much more of a chance that we in return will be much more forgiving and much more willing to do our bit to make your company a success.

That's how I feel.

And thank you for answering my post, that sort of thing goes a long way.

Silvia Hartmann
CEO, The StarFields Network

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy