Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 2 of 2
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

pardon me (pros & cons part 2) - 10/04/2006
Now the downside. I've managed hundreds of rings for years under different ID's. I think it would scare WebRing to know that my rings are huge traffic producers, and rank near or at the top of their "highest traffic" rankings. Overall, I feel I was very effective growing and improving my rings. I log in and review pending sites constantly! I respond promptly to member questions. OK, I'm starting to brag :)

My point is, if WebRing decides to take them away because I am unwilling to pay for their service...I'm good with it. They have always been convinced multi-ring managers are bad for their system anyway, no matter how hard their multi-ring managers tried to show them otherwise. (there were always bad apples that spoiled it for the others)
WebRing is betting on the wrong color. Many managers will not pay to manage their rings because of a devotion to the rings. I still love all my ring topics. I enjoyed looking at each new site that applied for membership. But, I don't NEED to. The internet is a big place with too many other alternatives for me to feed my interests. So, I'll ride it out till they take the rings away. I hope whoever they choose to run my rings keep them as some of WebRings highest traffic producing rings in the system. But I learned from some of the rings I'm a member of that new or inexperienced ring managers can do a lot of damage when they take over an established ring and try to impose new rules or theme changes on their members. My favorite was one who deleted all sites in the ring with older navigation code...heres a hint for the future managers of my rings; older established (and even unmaintained sites) may have existed for such a long time that they countless links to them and high search engine rankings. (Unless you know to check the traffic stats, your ring might look prettier after you go on a deleting binge but you may be sucking the life out of it)

So WebRing, I'm here and willing to do what I signed up to do. I'm also OK shipping out if you decide I don't fit your plan. Either way...best of luck.

lostplanet

Replied - 10/04/2006
Hiyas, I do this as a hobby as well. Really, my webrings are all geared to role-playing games or anti-racism webrings (the later has been condensed into one webring). I donítí own any commercial websites and all of them are just personal interests because I enjoy doing things for other gamers and helping out.

As sad as it is, I havenít contributed any money into webring. The money/credits are what Iíve earned through site features and new sites, and Iíve been putting it back to advertising the webrings.

I donít see why other ring managers canít do the same. In all honesty, its hard work to get to the top, but it really is worth it. Other ring managers can do exactly what Iíve done without taking money out of their pockets to do it.

Iíve typically had at least one of my sites listed in the most new sites in ring list off and on for some time now, and Iím not paying to be there.

Iím promoting the sites in my rings and they promote my rings. Give and take, isnít that one of the core reasons for the initial creation of webring? To link to each other and work with each other.

So what, if webring would like us to put a banner to their website and be an affiliate? I already link to their site anyway and now I at least have a pretty icon to do it as well. AND I might actually earn more credits for advertisement at the same time to further promote my webrings and the sites in them.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy