Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 7 of 7
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Hey What - 02/24/2004
I can't believe that Ring Masters can accept sites like this - http://free.hostdepartment.com/h/hi_tooo/webring.html
at the time of posting this there was no way off that page to the rest of the site and may still have no way off it. Doesn't this kind of break their rings?

No wonder I manage my rings manually!

Replied - 02/24/2004
"I can't believe that Ring Masters can accept sites like this - http://free.hostdepartment.com/h/hi_tooo/webring.html
at the time of posting this there was no way off that page to the rest of the site and may still have no way off it. Doesn't this kind of break their rings?
No wonder I manage my rings manually!"

Doesn't really break their rings...you can get off the site by clicking on one of the nav bars links. Of course the webmaster of this site is a bit of an idiot! Seems to me once you get people to your site you'd actually want them to be able to get somewhere other than a ring page....but that's just me! LOL!

But I agree with you - it wouldn't fly in one of my rings. Just like you, that's why I check sites manually and revisit several sites in each ring every day. It's amazing the things people do once they have that ring up.

Replied - 02/24/2004
well, the question remains: even if their was just one webring on such a link page (making it "unique") would anybody want to visit this?
I guess that the typical webring visitors, upon seeing 3 such pages in a row, would never again click on a navbar!

Typically the pages called "webring.htm" I get to see, really break the ring by offering a big link to their main web presence, but then no navigation back from there.
Only repeated pressing of the "back" button gives you a chance to surf on.

I do not admit any such pages to my rings. Personally, I believe that there has to be something worth seeing on the actual page the navigation is on, - otherwise visitors will quickly lose interest in the ring. I also double check that there is a convenient way to navigate back to the page with the navbar.
My experience is that this policy dramatically increases the traffic within my rings.

Laurenz

Replied - 02/24/2004
Same here, I wont admit any site unless they have a clear and direct route back to their nav bars. Clicking back till you get someplace is fine IF you came from somewhere other than a webring. Obviously you can check the address bar and work out where the index page is but not everyone picks up on that so they just get to hover around the ring page till boredom settles in (should take about 1.5 seconds).

True, this problem doesn't break the ring as such but I am sure many wouldn't bother going far as the other poster said if you hit two or three of these in a row.

One other thing that many Ring Masters miss are those "fake" index pages. I always take the time to get "back" to the page the rings are on or supposed to be on and it's incredible how often you get taken to a page that is almost identical but minus the nav bars. Appears to be popular with commercial sites.

Replied - 02/24/2004
Oh and even if it was unique that wouldn't cut it either...no one page sites especially ones with no content. I don't care how unique a site might be, maybe I'm weird but my main concern is the other members in my rings and keeping the standard up to what I hope they expect. Rating has to be 100% and well, as far as the unique rating goes, blah, I don't want anything to do with it. Webring obviously expect to make big bucks out of it or why else would they be willing to part with their pennies to pay us to find them new members? Sorry but that seems just a touch too strange to me when they keep looking for ways to make money.

Replied - 02/27/2004
I'm glad you "backed me up" on this. I just sent a big email to the members of "My 1st WebRing" explaining that I must insist in improved "Ring Navigability". A 99 or 100 navigation rating doesn't mean SQUAT if the visitor cannot get BACK to that registered URL to continue travelling the Ring.
Once I complete suspension of the "WebRingRoadBlocks" in My 1st, I'm going on to my other big Rings with decent traffic. It's time to IMPROVE those numbers.
Right now, I'd rather admit a PASS-L that is accesible from all points than a full PASS that doesn't link back to the WebRings page.

Replied - 02/28/2004
Exactly, what is a ring without away to travel it? No easy way to the nav bars no ring...it's dead and ratings of 100% mean nothing what so ever. Unfortunately too many managers prefer to "look" like they are doing a brilliant job and don't really care if the ring members get their fair share of the traffic generated by the rings they are in.

Look at what is happening right now, how many managers are dumping their members and making demands of how many rings they are "allowed" to be in? They cannot possibly claim to be doing it for the benefit of the remaining members...they are only doing it to make themselves look good reguardless of whether their rings actually work in the way intended or not. I have had to visit several sites in the past few days with NO way back to their nav bars, yet the same people that have proudly stated they are limiting other memberships to 5 or 10 other rings have admitted them in to their rings anyway. I refuse to add any such site unless they are willing to add a link.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy