Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 6 of 6
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

are two ssnb nav bars a problem? - 12/31/2005
Hi -- Newbie here who doesn't want to get a bad rep --
I was suspended from one of the rings I joined recently for having two ssnb navbars on my home page. One was from a memebership my husband got last year (it was formerly on our links page) Since it was in two rings I did not delete it and recently my sweet hubby moved it to the home page where it now sits below my own code where all my memeberships are. I didn't think this would be a problem since each is under a seperate id and he is not joining anymore rings under that id (and there are no doubled memberships)
Please advise -- if it is a problem, I'll get rid of the older one which is in only two rings.
Thanks, Holly :)

Replied - 12/31/2005
It sounds like you are describing a suspension by the person who owns the webring for violating his/her rule. It does not sound like you are violating any rule of the WebRing.com system.

Webring owners can make whatever rules they want. Some only let you join their webring if you don't belong to any others. Some set a limit as to the size of a stack (e.g., not more then 5 or 10). Some require the navbar to be on the home page. Others want it on the page with content related to the webring. Others permit you to place them on a separate page.

There is no system rule against having two ssnb navbars on a page.

James S. Huggins

to contact me: http://JSH.us/webring-email

Replied - 12/31/2005
Thanks James
The ringmaster says, quote -- The site was suspended due to the reasons listed below by the RingMaster.
double navigation code, is breaking the rings.
What does she mean???
Should I care?
Thanks again,
Holly :)

Replied - 12/31/2005
If you moved the code, but didn't change the URL in WebRing -- My Rings -- Member Tools -- URLs You Registered, you may have had a U# mismatch. A U# mismatch will cause a malfuntion and the ring won't work as it is supposed to.

If you joined the SAME ring with TWO different IDs, and had a separate NavBar for each ID, that would cause navigation problems in the ring. Vistors surfing the ring wouldn't know that they had to use a specific NavBar, or they would miss part of the ring. (It doesn't sound like this was the problem.)

In either of those cases, the ring master should have suspended your site until the issue was corrected.

For the first scenario, you would need to change the URL in WebRing -- My Rings -- Member Tools -- URLs You Registered from whatever page the code had been on to the page the code is on now.

For the second scenario, you would need to delete one of the memberships. It is not far to create an internal loop within a ring that skips some members sites.

Once the problems were corrected, the ringmaster should have re-instated you.

A suspension is a chance to fix the problem, a warning that something isn't working the way it should. If the member with the suspended site doesn't fix the problem, the site gets deleted and you have to start over.

A suspension isn't a bad thing, it is a chance to fix an error.

Does this make any sense and maybe give you some idea on how to fix it?

Hope this helps, MonaLS

Replied - 01/01/2006
Thanks Monals
I think I'm just going to delete the old code -- it has only two memberships -- there probably is a U# problem, since my sweet hubby moved it from the links page without changing it. I figure I'll just rejoin the two rings under my own username after the dust has settled.
Thanks everyone -- I won't hesitate to run here if I need help again!
Holly ;)

Replied - 01/01/2006
That would be the easiest solution I think. Glad we could give you some pointers!

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy