Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 6 of 6
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Spam Via WebRing Mail - 05/17/2005
Anyone else getting these? I've had loads -

"Thought that you might want to check out this amazing viral traffic generation program. As a webring user, I'm always on the lookout for free traffic, so I figured you would probably be interested, too. It's absolutely FREE, and the best part is, it works all by itself, without any effort from you. That's what viral traffic is all about, making the most out of other people's work. Just thought you might find it useful."

Replied - 05/17/2005
Don't click the link. I had one the other day.

Replied - 05/17/2005
No I didn't click it nor do I intend to...I scare easily :) I left the link off the post so nobody would get tempted to try it.

Replied - 05/19/2005
I got this too. What I'd like to know is _how_ I got it, given that it was sent to an address I'd created and updated in my Webring account only a month ago, and published on my site in a way that only humans can read it.

So was a spammer able to harvest the e-mail addresses from Webring? Or did Webring recently sell our e-mail addresses to a spammer?

Replied - 05/19/2005
What is on your profile page if you have one? Is your email address listed there?

Replied - 05/19/2005
My husband and I have a few ID's between us and no profiles so no visible e-mail addresses either. They are being sent from WebRing though from the looks of it, the IP below only differs in the last digit -

SPAM E-mail
X-Originating-IP:
Received: from 209.132.97.214 (EHLO D.webring.com) (209.132.97.214)

WEBRING APPLICATION E-mail
X-Originating-IP:
Received: from 209.132.97.212 (EHLO B.webring.com) (209.132.97.212)

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy