Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
The Stage - Welcome to the place where you can post for the world to share.    

Forums     Login   Signup

The Stage

Manager: webring
This is an open discussion forum for users to discuss WebRing features, wishes, thoughts, etc. QUESTIONS about and PROBLEMS with the System should be posted in detail using the support forums in Help. Negative, derogatory or personal comments will be deleted. Sadly, due to spamming and anonymous trashing of other users we have had to restrict posting to signed in members.

Sponsored Links

A few permanent posts to illustrate the feature
Re (3403): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Thanks. Knocking the cookie security down from medium to low in the interne

Re (3401): Nav bar NEXT goes to hub page.
  Two possible reasons: 1. you're site is not asctive in the ring currently

can't upload logos?
  Is there a problem with logo uploading? When is the best time to upload?
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 5 of 5
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Join 'The Triple Threat Site Ring'!!! - 12/01/2004
This ring is for actors, singers, models, dancers, musicians, or any combination of these. If you have talent and a website join this ring!

http://pub7.bravenet.com/sitering/show.php?usernum=574283043

Replied - 12/01/2004
http://pub7.bravenet.com/sitering/show.php?usernum=574283043

The first time I created a bravenet ring turned out to be the last and I promptly deleted it. The reason being is that member passwords were showing in the manager tools. I raised the issue with Bravenet support only to be told that the ringmaster has to have administration rights in order to manage the ring.

With members private paswords???????

I don't know if the situation is the same today but you have been warned!!!!!!!

Replied - 12/01/2004
I have a Bravenet SiteRing with 230 people in it. Yes I have access to their passwords, but those are only for the SiteRing. If people are smart, they select unique passwords for each service they use. Those passwords have access to nothing else inside the Bravenet system. Good thing too, people email me all the time 'cause they forgot their password.

After running my Bravenet Ring, I felt confident enough to start a WebRing one. Both systems have features I like, and features I don't care for. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. :)

I don't know why, but it seemed easier for me to start a ring there than here. I started one here at the same time, and felt so overwhelmed I closed it and went with Bravenet. Weird, aren't I?

But I have to admire the hutzpah of someone that would spam WebRing with their Bravenet SiteRing. ;)

MonaLS RingMaster:
eBay Stores Sidewalk Sale -http://pub20.bravenet.com/sitering/show.php?usernum=1717475398
The First Overstock Auction Sellers Ring http://c.webring.com/profile?y=monals

Replied - 12/01/2004
I never got round to establishing what the password feature was for and how the ringmaster uses it to manage the ring.
I felt very uncomfortable with the idea of passwords being transmitted off their database given that some people will use the same password for all their internet business, whereas others
will use different ones.
Do Bravenet emphasise the need for these passwords to be different? Do they tell their members that this information is being forwarded to a third party? OK, maybe you like many others
are straight and above board, but it is still a security issue and two years or more ago I considered their response unsatisfactory and still do. In all other respects they do provide an excellent webmaster service.

Replied - 12/01/2004
I checked the Join page, no they do not provide any information about how the password is used and who might have access to it. And no warning that it should be different than other passwords you use. I can see that as a flaw in an otherwise great system. Too bad I can't edit the Join page separately to provide a warning. :(

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy