Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
Artist's Blogs Webring - Are you a creative person? Then you are an artist! This ring is for artistic webloggers who want to share their thoughts

Forums     Login   Signup

Artist's Blogs Webring

Manager: wittfoto
Are you a creative person? Then you are an artist! This ring is for artistic webloggers who want to share their thoughts, feelings, creative works with others. If you're a visual artist, musician, creative writer, or just want to share your artistic aspirations, JOIN THIS RING!

Sponsored Links

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 1 of 1
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Plot Subtext Integration Part 1 - 02/19/2013
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-EBo0Huhjw8M/UKlD1I_ge-I/AAAAAAAAASc/CPYV-6K92gA/s1600/3_SimeGen_Paperback_Covers_From_Amazon.jpg

I'm going way out into uncharted waters here to invent, whole cloth out of nothing, an entirely new term, maybe a new concept, in writing craft. I'm terming it Plot-Subtext Integration. Plot you all know by now is what I call the sequence of EVENTS in a story, the "because line" of what people do, what that causes to happen, and what other people do about that happening.  Story is all about what the characters learn from the events that happen -- to make a story work, a writer has to create Events that happen TO the characters, i.e. plot events that drive the story, which then causes character motivations that drive them to act creating further plot events.  That is the integration of plot and story. If you missed this post, look through it now: http://aliendjinnromances.blogspot.com/2009/08/plot-vs-story.html The key ingredient, you'll notice, is character at the nexus of plot, story, conflict, -- all of the moving parts of the composition come together at character.  Sometimes in SF (even Science Fiction Romance) you have "characters" who are machines (R2D2 or Data), and characters who are actually Forces of Nature.  But what makes all this interesting, what makes it a story, is how all these separate ingredients interact.  Characters act generating plot, and characters speak revealing story -- sometimes they speak to themselves inside their own heads.  Characters speaking is dialogue.  We studied dialogue, and will come back to it in the ...

Plot Subtext Integration Part 1

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy